DRAFT MINUTES ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Macdonald High School Alumni Association [MHSAA]
June 5, 2010
Meeting Title: Year-end Review; New Business
Date: June 5, 2010
Time: The meeting was called to order at 13:40
Location: The Royal Canadian Legion, Churchill Branch 91
28 rue Ste. Anne
Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Québec H9X 1L3
Chaired by: Pieter Leenhouts
Facilitated by: Michael Angrove
|Attendees:||Pieter Leenhouts (Chairman)
Michael Angrove (Vice-chair)
Vivian Bruce (Executive-Secretary/ Liaison Officer)
Robert Howell (Treasurer)
Clive Gibson (member-at-large)
Toni Scholefield (member-at-large)
Kim Reany (member-at-large)
|Drop-in||Gerry Bury (Dropped in before BBQ for a few minutes)|
Philip Bury with regards to class of ‘60
Allen Abney sends his best to old Mac friends
Laurie (McClintock) Tascone
Lorraine (DeWitt) Seagrim
Ron Ness & Joyce (Bradley) send their best to classes of ’66-‘68
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting April 25, 2009 were reviewed and accepted on a motion by: Mike Angrove; seconded by: Robert Howell
The Agenda was read and accepted on a motion by: Mike Angrove; seconded by: Kim Reany
3. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT (Pieter Leenhouts)
- Pieter welcomed all to the meeting and stated that AGM’s are required to maintain the vitality of the organization.
- In 2009, Bill Eden passed along a suggestion from a western alumnus; that of establishing regular, regional alumni gatherings. After a brief discussion, it was thought that the creation of chapters may strengthen Mac ties.
- The importance of maintaining a current list of alumni e-mail addresses was stressed.
- Fund raising plans should be made in order to secure/increase future student awards and gifts to the school.
4. SECRETARY’S REPORT (Vivian Bruce)
Flag and flag pole The school flag has been flying over the old entrance for one year. It appears to be weathering well.
School Mascot MHSAA answered the school’s request for a mascot costume and offered to review a cost-sharing bid for this item, if, in a detailed proposal, the school could produce a more financially appealing package than Canadian manufacturer (International Mascots Canada) cost of $4,000-$7,000. It appears that the appeal has been abandoned.
Hall of Honour Ex-Principal Aiken volunteered to investigate and advise MHSAA of previous estimates for plaque revitalization. Change of administration at the school stalled proceedings; revitalization of the Hall of Honour has been put on hold.
- www.machigh.org has been linked with Facebook
- There have been difficulties with the web host, Jumpline. Alternatives are being looked into.
- The AGM notice was posted on the web site and mass mailed. There was a web issue with the reply link. Contact with MHSAA secretary/liaison continues to be at email@example.com
Quebec Enterprise Number (NEQ)
- Confirmation of NEQ number arrived June 22, 2009
- Yearly obligations, as confirmed by Jean Trudel at the Registraire des enterprises (Ministere du Revenu) are as follows:
- Annual Registration must be completed by Nov. 15th yearly at a cost of $32 / year (except for 2010 – the year after primary registration). After deadline, the fee is $48. The form will be sent, automatically, to the correspondent named on the declaration. Request second copy if it has not arrived by June 6 (done this year).
- Annual Declaration must be made at the same time as the registration and should contain all changes (names, addresses etc.). It is free unless deadline date (Nov.15) has passed, after which there will be a fee $16. Signed and returned June 4, 2010
MHSAA Annual Award for Student Leadership:
- KRISTA RAE KENNEDY is the 2008-09 recipient of the $500 MHSAA Annual Award for Student Leadership. The Selections
- Committee was very impressed by the accomplishments of all three candidates. Announcement was placed on MHSAA web site.
- Mike Angrove presented the award; Robert Howell took photos for our web site.
- 2010 applications were sent to the school May 25th. There will be one student selected by MHSAA Awards Committee for the $500 award. Convocation will be October 1st, 2010 at JAC Casgrain gym. Gown-up time 18:45. For presenters without hoods, robes will be provided..
Quantum Leap: As per MHSAA Executive initiative, new principal, Mary-Ann Bindner, was asked if she knew where the keys to Quantum Leap were kept; she does.
Authors’ Alcove: One new book was added to the shelf: “Ghosts and Tunnels” by Karen Jones and her grade eight class. This is the first student contribution. An MHSAA executive member was invited to speak to the class during the research process; printing costs of black & white student books and the one colour edition for the library shelf were donated by MHSAA.
Historically Associated Groups: The new mayor of Ste. Anne de Bellevue is Francis Deroo. Contact concerning Macdonald High School building being recognised by Ste Anne de Bellevue as an historical site is pending.
MHSAA Education Fund:
- MHSAA liaison with the Pearson Educational Foundation (PEF) is amicable and ongoing via president, Suanne Day. Cheques for ongoing expenses (web hosting, post box and award) are timely. On one occasion funds were issued in CDN rather than USD for the US web host; it was rectified immediately.
- The campaign for online donations to MHSAA Education Fund via PEF is pending.
- A donation through www.CanadaHelps.org was tested by MHSAA Executive. It was processed within hours and an income tax receipt was issued, on line, immediately; very efficient procedure.
- Requests for transcripts were referred to the School Board Archives Department at: (514) 422-3000.
Bill Eden would like to see western alumni get together every three years in order to bond alumni at large.
- Don Barnes congratulated MHSAA on its community spirit.
- Jen Worden suggests that a bi-annual email with pertinent updates/info might be worthwhile.
- Mac High Community Services Officer, Mrs. Sue Tuff, is asking for MHSAA monetary contribution to the school’s thematic interior wall-painting project.
- Dayle Haddon, sends her best to the Mac gang.
5. TREASURER’S REPORT (Robert Howell)
- The financial report was duly read and it was seen that all accounts are in order, with no outstanding bills.
- The mailbox will be checked by Mike Angrove and Vivian Bruce to increase frequency of visits.
- The web host needs to be changed owing to very poor customer relations.
- PEF statements are requested as needed; issuing is timely and entries are current.
- A copy of the MHSAA financial statement is available upon request.
That the Treasurer’s Report be accepted as read:
Moved by: Mike Angrove Seconded by: Toni Scholefield All in favour
6. NEW BUSINESS
- Create cross-Canada MHSAA chapters as per Bill Eden’s suggestion. It was agreed upon that formation of regional chapters should be explored.
Action item: Pieter volunteered to study the constitution and make suggestions that would open the door to such an expansion.
- Write and mass mail a periodic newsletter to bond alumni members, as per Jen Worden’s suggestion. and update current e-mail list.
Action item: Accept Jen Worden’s offer to prepare a “1-2-3 step by step” for alumni on how to update their email address using the board.
- Discuss school painting project and request for monetary assistance.
Action item: Offer the school (through Mac High Community Services Officer, Sue Tuff) $500 to assist with the project; this, on the basis of benefitting the student population at large.
- Discuss on-line fund-raising campaign to build MHSAA Education Fund such that more can be done for the school without depleting the capital.
Action item: Initiate an on-line fundraiser, including specific projects to which alumni can direct contributions. Liaison with Pearson Educational Foundation (PEF) necessary to set this up.
- Change web hosts. Support was shown for choosing a Canadian web host if possible.
Action item; Mike Angrove will examine our needs and collaborate with Jen Worden. Decision pending.
Kudos to Vice-chairman, Mike Angrove and The Royal Canadian Legion, Churchill Branch 91 for once again extending a warm welcome to MHSAA and allowing us to meet and eat in the legion hall. Mike cooks a MEAN burger!
8. SCHEDULE NEXT GENERAL MEETING (Nominations and Election of Executive Committee for 2011-2013)
Date: May 28, 2010 (tentative; to be confirmed 2 months prior to meeting.)
Place: Ste. Anne’s Legion (tentative)
On a motion by Robert Howell; seconded by Clive Gibson, the meeting was adjourned at 14:11
Respectfully submitted by Vivian (Chandler) Bruce ’65 Date: June 7, 2010
Executive Secretary / Liaison Officer MHSAA